Simple Steps to Supporting Daily Detoxification
Clients often ask me why they should detox. The reality is, no matter how cleanly we eat, we live in a very toxic world. Before we even open our mouths to take a bite of food, we are exposed to industrial pollution in the air and toxins in our cleaning products and cosmetics. Not to mention the havoc wrecked on the body by stress. So the question is not ‘am I toxic?’ but rather ‘how toxic am I?’
Not that long ago in historical terms, we didn’t have processed foods, mass agriculture, or the levels of pollution we face today. Our bodies detox naturally, but they have not evolved fast enough to keep up with the increasing toxic load. When the body’s natural detoxification systems reach their limit, we begin to experience symptoms of over toxicity, which can lead ot a host of health issues, such as:
- Foods allergies or intolerances
- Skin problems
- Weight gain or inability to gain weight
- IBS, constipation, or irregular bowel movements
- Hampered immunity
- Headaches and migraines
- Joint pain and inflammation
- Hormonal imbalances
- Depression, anxiety, or constant mood swings
- Trouble sleeping
- Low sex drive
- Sugar cravings
- High Blood Pressure
- Increase Acidity
- Hormonal Imbalances
- Decreased Immune Function
- Menopausal Issues
- Heart Disease
- Disrupted Sleep Patterns
If you suffer from any of the above symptoms, this is a great time to hit your body’s reset button by doing some gentle detoxing. Even if you aren’t experiencing any symptoms, it is recommended that everyone detox seasonally to give the body’s detox organs a break.
There are numerous ways to gently and safely detoxify our bodies, from herbs, to supplements and of course, choosing clean, organic whole foods.
Heading out to your local health food store and buying a 10-day detox kit is not going to cut it! As much as those kits can be effective in ‘cleaning you out,’ they really don’t address the biggest and most important issue, which is food and nutrients.
In order to eliminate toxins, we need to feed our bodies well. In fact, the foods you choose to eat play a vital role in eliminating toxins from your body as well as supporting different organ systems.
Let’s take a look at your liver…
As your main detoxifying organ, your liver has over 500 functions in the body. From ridding your body of wastes, metabolizing hormones and assisting in digestion, your liver has a lot of work to do.
B vitamins, vitamin A and C and minerals such as zinc, magnesium, calcium and selenium are all important for supporting detoxification and the liver. Several amino aids are also important for improving detoxification and eliminating chemicals from your body. Cysteine and methionine in particular, help prevent oxidation and bind to heavy metals such as mercury to help flush it from your system.
An incredibly powerful and important antioxidant needed for detoxification is glutathione. This antioxidant works to decrease toxins accumulated from smoke, radiation, auto exhaust, chemicals, drugs and many other carcinogens.
Since your liver is your main detoxifying powerhouse, it is important to eat foods that optimize the health of the liver and supply you with many of the vitamins and minerals mentioned above.
Here are simple steps you can take daily to support liver detoxification:
- Eliminate the toxic load of what you ingest through food and drink. Try to eat organic when possible. Cut out alcohol and/or keep alcohol consumption moderate going forward. Alcohol slows down the detoxification process and negatively affects hormones.
- Reduce toxins in your home by choosing natural beauty products and cleaning products when possible. Avoid ingredients such as SLS, SLES, parabens, fragrances, ammonia, PEG and food colorings.
- Consume lemon water/apple cider vinegar every morning upon rising.
- Stay hydrated by drinking half your body weight in ounces of water daily. For a boost in cellular regeneration and liver support, add 1 teaspoon of chlorophyll, spirulina, or any greens powder to 10 ounces of water.
- Support a healthy colon by consuming NuLife Therapeutics Healing Fiber. This will help to repair the gut lining and reduce gas, bloating and constipation. Fiber is vital for removing toxic wastes from the colon.
- Eat foods that naturally cleanse the liver, such as apples, lemons, limes, asparagus, broccoli, radish, cucumber, spinach, watercress, parsley, cilantro, and other bitter greens.
- Close the kitchen three hours before bedtime. Sleep is when the liver begins to clean the body of wastes. If you are hungry before bed, hydrate by drinking a natural homemade electrolyte elixir: take 20 ounces of water and add the juice of one lemon, 1/8 teaspoon of sea salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of raw honey or a bit of stevia to sweeten.
- Incorporate dry skin brushing and Epsom salt baths regularly to help support the body’s natural detoxification pathways.
Follow these simple steps to support the health of your liver. In turn, you’ll experience more energy, better hormonal health and clear, glowing skin.